Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Welcome to Bag End"

Hey Friends!
Life is, as always, an adventure. I recently moved in to my own little basement apartment and have enjoyed cleaning it, decorating it, and already entertaining in it some. It's beginning to feel like my own little place. I have even painted a sign for it; "Welcome to Bag End." It's a Lord of the Rings reference...look it up. :)
I've learned so much on this leg of my adventure already. Like how expensive healthy food really is, the value of couponing, the best places to get gas in AL, how to make the most of all the "stuff" I've been collecting over the years, etc.
The family I'm renting from are family friends, and they've taught me a lot already too. Like how to feed chickens and collect my own eggs! Next week in my free time, I've decided to take my drawing supplies and try to capture the personality of these animals. 13 hens and 1 rooster (whose name is NASCAR...yes, really) make very interesting and characterful subjects.
Things with Penn Foster are going well. I made a 93 on my first exam and an 80 on my second one. That will be the lowest score I make in the program. I have figured out I can take a study break from the chapter I'm covering, but in order to make the best grade on the exam, I have to read all in one sitting or review better before trying to take the exam. I've also been in touch with a place in my area called Engaged! Wedding Library. It's a consultation boutique, and they've agreed to meet with me and let me help with some of their projects, almost like an internship. More details on that post-meeting.
Did you know there's a glossary for terms regarding major events and coordinating? Check this link out when you have time! I learned all sorts of helpful new words.
Next week, I begin my regular nanny job to help fund this whole new adventure. I'm very excited about that, and already have great plans and objectives for intentional play-time with the kids. Not quite as strict as a lesson-plan, but definitely themed days. For example, on the days themed "Knights of the Round Table," my carpet bag will be filled with fairy-tale books and tiaras and card-board swords, whereas on "Pirate Days" we'll make maps and look through telescopes with a patch on one eye. "Secret Garden" day, we'll go to my house and plant something in one of my pots outside, learn about bugs, and then maybe read from Genesis where we learn about the creation of the world. Perhaps we'll draw a picture for each day of creation.
I don't know, but I'm bubbling with ideas.
 And even though my little Bag End isn't quite as charming as Tolkien's (yet), I am very content now with where I am. I pray that I won't get too comfortable though. I've learned constant comfort hinders growth.
Thanks for reading! I'll leave you with the verse for the day:

“Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”
Psalm 143:10 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment