Tuesday, August 2, 2011

This Chapter is Closing

Well, it's true. This chapter of my life is about to end, and a new one about to begin! It's exciting and thrilling, but at the same time, I suppose I'm slightly nervous.
Interning has been an awesome awesome experience this summer. I worked with the middle and high schoolers at my church, helped plan events, run services, and mentor and connect kids to Jesus and His lifestyle. It's been SOoO worth all the hours and hard work.
Shadowing my friend and starting my Penn Foster adventure have both been great experiences too! I am still waiting on a package in the mail with my course materials before I can begin lessons in Wedding Coordinating. But the last wedding I helped out with on July 16th taught me several real-life lessons without any books or course materials, and I am always glad for J to be giving me helpful hints.
However, my entire adventure and wonderful life have been gently placed back in perspective for me. I just returned home from a week of living in the Dominican Republic and loving on the people there. My Spanish improved a bit, I think, and it was nice to be able to communicate to some extent....languages really are one of my passions, so I am excited to learn more and more. But all my aspirations and dreams are now again grounded in perspective. We are truly blessed, and I will now greet my fall with love and with some realistic actions...such as remembering I don't need another pair of shoes or five more new tops, because there are people living in parts of the world without either. In one village we visited, I was playing ball with a group of children. The soccer ball rolled into the mud, and after having a broken conversation about how to say "the ball is dirty" and "mud", I proceeded to wipe the little bit from the ball with my tshirt. Well, one of the little boys I was playing with got really upset and told me "No, no no no, no!" and a stream of Spanish. He basically told me I shouldn't wipe the dirty ball with my clean shirt. I followed his instructions, because I didn't have the heart to tell him, "It's ok, I packed 14 more shirts." Watching and learning from people who are happy with what I consider nothing was again very humbling.
Speaking of laundry, I need to go wash some. That is on my checklist of things to do today, and blogging was not. However...eh...I thought maybe it'd be good to leave you a note.
"If I speak the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, my words are no more than a clanging bell."

No comments:

Post a Comment