Dear Upcoming College Students,
Beware:Freshmen have this nasty habit of being arrogant.
I think it's because we think since we made it through high school and one year of college, we are sOoO grown up. This however is far from true. It would take all my fingers and toes plus a few to count how many times I have been humbled over the year because of my own faux pas! How silly for us to think we are above those around us simply because we feel a small sense of accomplishment. Granted, it was a great and tough year, and we should be proud of the good things we did; but oh my heavens, how far we have to go!
I decided, for the benefit of future freshmen, the agreement of parents and adults, and to provide some laughter to all, to list some of the lessons I can remember from this past year.
1. It is possible to not gain 15 pounds and still have healthy eating habits at college.
2. The gym is your friend.
3. Campus safety will give you tickets for what they say they will...don't try to beat the system.
4. There are so many beautiful people on Samford's campus.
5. Walmart is an excellent source of fun as well as supplies for all-things-college life.
6. If you make good guy friends at school, watch out for the micheivous ones...
7. Sometimes those same good guy friends introduce you to your future best girl friends.
8. Shushing in any cafeteria is very uncool...for me...and most everyone else around me, except those doing the shushing.
9. Cable TV and picking favorite shows to watch with your roommate is an excellent conversation starter.
10. Attending 7 different churches before finally deciding where to go is an ok thing.
11. Sonic is the best place for all dates.
12. The view of Birmingham at night from the top of a mountain is pretty awe-inspiring.
13. Dollar movies are the way to go.
14. Not having to do dishes or very many chores is quite nice, however, I personally was glad to do them each time I went home.
15. Having a roomy who is as equally neat-freak-ish as you is a major blessing.
16. Having a boyfriend who was your friend before you got to the same college is another major blessing.
17. Toilet paper disappears rapidly in a suite bath when 4 girls are sharing.
18. Quiet hours are really nice, but not held to...and it's ok.
19. Calling home at least every other day is greatly appreciated.
20. Being home for spring break freshman year is not a bad thing at all...just know that for the next years, it might be good to go somewhere else.
21. For Christians, daily seeking the Lord's face becomes ultra, ultra important at college. It makes a difference in your entire day.
22. Having friends whom you can discuss what Jesus is teaching you with is mucho importante.
23. Grades are means to an end, so do your best, even if the system frustrates the livin' daylights out of you.
24. JellO and whip-cream are a cheap, fun treat, and easy to make in the dorm room.
25. Having a job while balancing school and friends is a good taste of what "the real world" will be like.
26. Time management skills learned in high school DO pay off.
27. MOST skills learned in high school DO pay off.
28. If your campus has a quad (i.e., grassy area in the middle of the buildings) frizbee and guitars, or friends chillin' on blankets are common occurences.
29. Finding a secret place where you can go and think and be still on campus is a treasure.
30. You can learn something from each and every person you come into contact with...even the ones you think you have nothing in common with...or don't like.
31. Watching drunk people is very commical. Therefore, I have decided to never be drunk in order to save my own face. Nothing can be more humiliating than being in a situation where you had no idea what you were doing, and then afterwards couldn't remember anything that happened.
32. Learning lessons from someone else's mistakes is much better than making the same mistake yourself and having to learn the lesson the hard way.
Oh my goodness, this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the things I learned and experienced. You'll notice too that actual classroom lessons weren't really mentioned all that much. Oh, sure I learned all about French, the stars, world geography, cultural perspectives and history of the world, more French, argument and falisies, how to stay healthy in college, how to run a 5k, how to study hard in college and still fail, etc etc etc...the list goes on. And I enjoyed each of those lessons. But learning about life and the people I live it with took up much more time than class. And I loved every minute of all lessons learned...even the ones that were unpleasant.
Jesus said in John 16:33 of the Bible, "I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In this world, you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
What a good reminder. Be encouraged. No school experience, no job, no circumstance is too hard for my Jesus. To this I cling.
2. The gym is your friend.
3. Campus safety will give you tickets for what they say they will...don't try to beat the system.
4. There are so many beautiful people on Samford's campus.
5. Walmart is an excellent source of fun as well as supplies for all-things-college life.
6. If you make good guy friends at school, watch out for the micheivous ones...
7. Sometimes those same good guy friends introduce you to your future best girl friends.
8. Shushing in any cafeteria is very uncool...for me...and most everyone else around me, except those doing the shushing.
9. Cable TV and picking favorite shows to watch with your roommate is an excellent conversation starter.
10. Attending 7 different churches before finally deciding where to go is an ok thing.
11. Sonic is the best place for all dates.
12. The view of Birmingham at night from the top of a mountain is pretty awe-inspiring.
13. Dollar movies are the way to go.
14. Not having to do dishes or very many chores is quite nice, however, I personally was glad to do them each time I went home.
15. Having a roomy who is as equally neat-freak-ish as you is a major blessing.
16. Having a boyfriend who was your friend before you got to the same college is another major blessing.
17. Toilet paper disappears rapidly in a suite bath when 4 girls are sharing.
18. Quiet hours are really nice, but not held to...and it's ok.
19. Calling home at least every other day is greatly appreciated.
20. Being home for spring break freshman year is not a bad thing at all...just know that for the next years, it might be good to go somewhere else.
21. For Christians, daily seeking the Lord's face becomes ultra, ultra important at college. It makes a difference in your entire day.
22. Having friends whom you can discuss what Jesus is teaching you with is mucho importante.
23. Grades are means to an end, so do your best, even if the system frustrates the livin' daylights out of you.
24. JellO and whip-cream are a cheap, fun treat, and easy to make in the dorm room.
25. Having a job while balancing school and friends is a good taste of what "the real world" will be like.
26. Time management skills learned in high school DO pay off.
27. MOST skills learned in high school DO pay off.
28. If your campus has a quad (i.e., grassy area in the middle of the buildings) frizbee and guitars, or friends chillin' on blankets are common occurences.
29. Finding a secret place where you can go and think and be still on campus is a treasure.
30. You can learn something from each and every person you come into contact with...even the ones you think you have nothing in common with...or don't like.
31. Watching drunk people is very commical. Therefore, I have decided to never be drunk in order to save my own face. Nothing can be more humiliating than being in a situation where you had no idea what you were doing, and then afterwards couldn't remember anything that happened.
32. Learning lessons from someone else's mistakes is much better than making the same mistake yourself and having to learn the lesson the hard way.
Oh my goodness, this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the things I learned and experienced. You'll notice too that actual classroom lessons weren't really mentioned all that much. Oh, sure I learned all about French, the stars, world geography, cultural perspectives and history of the world, more French, argument and falisies, how to stay healthy in college, how to run a 5k, how to study hard in college and still fail, etc etc etc...the list goes on. And I enjoyed each of those lessons. But learning about life and the people I live it with took up much more time than class. And I loved every minute of all lessons learned...even the ones that were unpleasant.
Jesus said in John 16:33 of the Bible, "I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In this world, you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
What a good reminder. Be encouraged. No school experience, no job, no circumstance is too hard for my Jesus. To this I cling.
No comments:
Post a Comment